Saturday 31 August 2013

The cooking class....

So my soon-to-be SIL has enlisted me to assist in her culinary education.  In less than 9 months she will be a (low budget) newly wed and so her quest for kitchen skills has begun!  I never realized how some basic things in the kitchen; if never taught, will remain to be a mystery.  So, like demelza if you  don't   know... just ask for help.  I feel so honoured that she's chosen me as her guide! 

One of her requests was broccoli cheddar soup; sure to be any young 20 something's favourite!  

I did not have a recipe so I merely looked on line and the first one (with several stars!) that appeared was the following:

Showing her how to read through a recipe and organize herself was where I began.

We went through all the steps exactly as written.  This was a very simple recipe; other than the onions making us tear up...this was a great recipe to begin with. 

We made the following adjustments:
I used light shredded cheese over velveeta.
I couldn't find chopped frozen broccoli so I used frozen whole florets.
I added sea salt and lots of black pepper. 
Also at the "onion broccoli stock" stage I used my immersion blender to blitz it quickly before adding the cheese or milk (we wanted it more smooth than chunky).

It took us not even 20 minutes from start to finish and it tasted awesome! 
It was so creamy, cheesy and delicious. We loved that the broccoli was still recognizable and tastable....you didn't just taste cheese.

I would make this recipe again and will definitely recommend it!  

This soup cost approximately $10 to make a very large pot.  The cheese was the most expensive ingredient, costing a whopping $6.  As I told Demelza; cheese will freeze ...so stock up when it's on sale!

Demelza said that she will definitely make it again and will probably try it with the velveeta next time...I'm sure Drew would appreciate that!


No comments:

Post a Comment