Sunday 18 August 2013

Mississippi mud

My baby brother leaves to go back to school this week...it's been so nice to have him around this summer.  
Today is his farewell family dinner...I was enlisted to make dessert; but specifically... his favourite; Mississippi mud. I usually freestyle things and sometimes fail; so I decided to get the recipe from my mom and follow it to a "t"!!!
The recipe:
My grandfather typed this out for my mom over 40 years ago; he's been gone for years now but it is amazing how a small piece of paper can make you reminisce.
 The base:
1/2 cup margarine(soften butter)
1cup flour
1/2 chopped nuts (pecans)
Mix and spread into a 9x13 pan

Bake on 350 for 15 minutes ( took mine 22)

Filling:
Beat 8 oz cream cheese with 1cup of icing sugar
Then mix in 1 large tub of cool whip
(I know what you're thinking....cool whip? But this is a classic recipe!!!)
Spread this over the cooled crust

Filling #2:
Mix 2-4oz packages of instant chocolate pudding with 3cups of milk(you will notice that's less than the package calls for; this is correct; you want it thicker!
Spread this over the cream cheese layer.

Topping:
Top with a tub if cool whip
I used whipping cream (sweetened with a little icing sugar...this will also help stabilize the whipping cream) because I forgot to buy an extra tub for the topping and my mom had whipping cream.
Spread this over the chocolate layer.

Final product:
I shaved chocolate on top instead of nuts...this is how my mom made hers for us when we were growing up!

The reviews are in:
"Best I've ever had; don't tell mom!" -Cher
"So creamy!" -jan


No comments:

Post a Comment