Friday 9 August 2013

A day in the life....

This is what a normal day looks like at our house!  Aubrey begging to help with whatever creation I am cooking/baking up!  I have discovered she will eat anything that she helps to make.  So that has been very useful to know as we approach these "crazy 3's"!  
So my intention for this blog is to be an encouragement to those who want to be creative in the kitchen and don't feel they have the "know how".  I will share our ups and downs.  Believe you me; my meatball incident of 2012 would make some people stop cooking for their Chef husband but not me....I kept calm and carried on! 

My culinary background consists of me begging my mom to be able to cook dinner for the family at age 11.  Watching Emril Live with my dad at age 16.  Then at 19 years of age going to Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts for their 6 month Culinary Course in Vancouver.  At age 20 I moved to Ontario and tried to get a job in a kitchen; I quickly realized my very expensive education had no "clout" as promised in their pretty blue brochure.  So through a family friend I was able to get my start at the Woodbine Racetrack being a "Salad Head".  I would chop lettuce for hours of my day.  After 8 months of that I decided the male dominated world of the professional kitchen was not my cup of tea and I would of much preferred to go back to my mom's kitchen to make dinner; so that's what I did.

So my love affair of cooking has not ended but has only grown over time.  Some culinary set backs but I am at my happiest place.  Being a mom who gets to pass my love of "no pressure" cooking onto our daughter.  She gets the best of both worlds...a dad who is a professional red seal chef; who will pass along his technique and refinement....and a mom who will pass along wit, risk, and a whole lot of ingredients!!!



4 comments:

  1. So excited for you friend!! (and proud!!) Hope you put some recipes on here! ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No-pressure cooking and no pressure-cooking... sounds like a great life phylosphy!! Sounds like a great title for the book that comes out of your blog posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitly be putting some recipes, or suggestions....alot of my cooking is freestyling! Maybe one day Pat...wouldn't that be funny...never ever thought of myself as a writer; you on the other hand... have a true gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wenda Lee,I always thought you should have your own TV cooking show! Aubrey is adorable and it is so obvious that she is your delight. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete