Saturday 10 August 2013

My summer of canning....sharing kindness one jar at a time!


Spent yesterday afternoon making pickles with my SIL (sister in-law) and my MIL (mother in-law).  If you've never canned and want to give it try; maybe get some friends together and share the cost and some great memories! It was a breeze with the many years of making dills under my SIL &MIL's belts!
What a delightful new experience for me though...to join in on the tradition!
 I have done my fair share of canning this year but never pickles. I Throughly enjoy the sound of jar 'popping' sealed; whatever may be inside! It really is something to make things homemade....there's a satisfaction that goes along with it.  There's something to be said for that feeling....what is it in me though?  Wanting to line up all my homemade canned goods and count them over and over.  That would be a new show on TLC; "Hoarders; canning version".  But honestly i do find the best part about this new found love for canning is sharing with others! 
Some of my creations this summer:

Cherry berry jam; amazing over cheesecake! (Made 16 jars three weeks ago and only have one left) 
I've personally used my canned goods as a way to meet my neighbours that I don't know and to connect with people at work that I don't know very well. Non-threatening for both parties....who doesn't love homemade and who doesn't love free? You'd be surprise how quickly relationships blossom and even a canning swap..."For sure I'll try your salsa, don't mind if I do?!?!?!"

"HP" chutney....made with rhubarb.  You'd never know....very tasty with pork and cheeses.


Spicy peach mango salsa

Hopefully I've given you a little inspiration; the options are endless and the season has only begun...it's not to late!

2 comments:

  1. Remember when you are cooking, say this phrase... "one batch for my family, one batch for Nola's family ;)" this looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about some recipes!?

    Great blog, Wen! I'm glad you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete