Saturday 17 August 2013

222 inspired....tropical chicken

People close to me know that my favourite pizza of all time is the tropical chicken on gluten free crust from 222.  The gluten free only comes in medium size and is one of their most expensive pizza but I love it. Jan and I went to superstore to see if we could buy and make it for cheaper.  Making it really does give you nutritional options. 

Crust... 
Now we have made gluten free crust and it tastes pretty good but my favourite splurge is gluten free crusts by Udi's; you can find these in the organic freezer section.  Two come in one pack for $6.99...I'm a pretty big eater; I'd call one a personal pizza!

For regular crusts we usually do make them but I found a steal of a deal at Costco. 4 crusts with 4 packs of sauce for $7.99.  They are very nice; thin....bake up great directly on the rack as directed! One of these will feed our family of three.
Both of these crusts are great directly from the freezer. *I usually keep mine in the freezer until I'm ready to put the toppings on and bake!

Sauce...
I use my husbands homemade BBQ sauce (soya sauce, brown sugar, jalapeños, garlic, franks red hot, molasses etc)...it's smoky and tangy...the perfect sauce! I'm sure you could purchase a dark rich chipotle BBQ sauce at any grocer. 

Toppings...
Bacon; I cheated and bought pre-cooked.  I have never bought this product before and I'd say after using it...for this and for convenience i would buy it again.  I probably wouldn't buy it to eat solo but chopped up on the pizza it was good.  $3.99 for the box and I used half.
Chicken...
Here's a lesson I was explaining to my "soon-to-be" SIL; don't be afraid the the reduced price sticker...I feel they are our friends!
Pineapple....
Drained tidbits
$1.50( I think?!) which does 2 pizzas
Cheese...
Whatever you fancy
$6.99 will do 3 pizzas
Assembly time...
Ready for the oven...
400F convection
15 minutes
Directly on the Middle rack

Salty, sweet, savoury with a little zip from the chipotle sauce...I couldn't believe how great it tasted.  It had so much to live up to!!!
So when all was said and done; this on GF crust worked out to $10.75 a pizza and on regular crust it turned out to be $9.25 a pizza. That is almost half price....left some for Jeff to taste...."you rang the bell on this one!"

So great when it works out!!!!
In the words of Aubrey,"delicious mum!"

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to give this one a try! It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete