Friday 20 September 2013

What to make?

Loss of inspiration in the kitchen is very common; well atleast to me it is.  Especially when I'm not feeling super great...I have no energy to think with my taste buds.  But there is a catch....I'm a mom and Aubrey has to eat.  So I asked on Facebook what people's "go to" meals were....all were great ideas ...I will probably try them this week.  

My friend Cate suggested chicken fried rice with lots of fried egg and serve it with plum sauce.  Her boys love it! Since I had about 3 cups of cooked brown rice and tons of veggies and some pork loin; I thought "perfect"!  

So I went to the basement and got the Wok....Aubrey found this funny!  After I dusted it off...I turned it on high.  With some oil I fried 4 scrambled eggs. I set this aside.

At about this moment I realized..."I've never made fried rice before".  I did however remember getting it made for myself at the mall in Thailand...so I thought back 12 years and used my imagination!


Diced up all of my veggies very thin; so they'd cook evenly.  I taught Aubrey how to peel pea pods.  She was so proud of herself!

On a separate cutting board I chopped up the pork really small.  Threw it in the very hot wok and added a bit of this and bit of that!

Hoisin, soya sauce, grated fresh ginger, grated orange zest, fresh orange juice....I think that is it.  Over seasoning the meat I find helpful in giving flavour to the rest of a dish like this.

It cooked really quickly and I removed it from the wok.

At this point I added all of my veg except for the broccoli florets and stir fried it with a bit if soya sauce and fresh orange juice.
Then I added my cooked rice; sautéed that for a couple minutes and then added everything else in.


This was a complete meal and it was so fresh and light! I couldn't believe how far it stretched.  If you're looking for a meal on a small budget....this is it!  You may have notice the pork was $2.05 with 30% off...like what do you want for nothing?!?!? This meal was probably under $6 in its entirety...crazy!

Well the real critic Aubrey did pretty good...she liked the pieces of meat and egg, she said.  We didn't have plum sauce but I added Saracha to mine; that added a nice zip!  A touch of sesame oil would of been nice while it was cooking but it slipped my mind.

So thank you Cate!  I appreciate your suggestion!

1 comment:

  1. Wow I feel honored to be mentioned in your food blog! Your veggies look yummy. I usually use frozen peas, corn and diced carrot which is a little boring. Cook up some spring rolls / egg rolls and I feel you could serve this to guests too!

    ReplyDelete