Wednesday 11 September 2013

The gift to share...

The "travelling jar" has been empty for a few weeks now and I was really wanting to return it.  
This morning these gorgeous red plums were dropped off at my desk by my "jar buddy".  Perfect timing!
I once again started "googling" yummy ideas to use a large amount of red plums...4&1/2 stars is enough for me to try something!

This one spoke to me; chipotle plum jam.  I have a soft spot for anything chipotle; as well as salty-sweet flavour profiles.

Simple enough; I washed and pitted all the plums... measuring them in 8 cups to see how many recipes I would make.

I had 20 cups of pitted plums; so I decided I would make 2&1/2 recipes.
In my large pot I combined the plums with a whole can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce.  I used the whole can because that was about 10 peppers(I used the seeds because I love spice!).
I zested three oranges and peeled the skin off and chopped and added the flesh.
I added 8 cups of white sugar; notice I added a little more than half the recipe called for.  You can adjust to whatever you prefer.  I decided to add two packages of low sugar pectin.  This started to gel it right away!
At this stage I decided I didn't want chunks so I used my immersion blender...I know what you're thinking!  This left texture but not huge chunks.  I think this will work out great.  When I tasted it; I could totally see myself serving it over cream cheese as an appetizer served with crackers!  I added a little sea salt at this point to adjust the seasoning.

Meanwhile:

I turned my oven onto 350F and put my washed jars in.
Once the oven reached 350F; I turned off my oven and left them inside.

Boiled my lids. 

And the assembly began; doing this on my own did not allow for pictures as you have to be very quick!

I filled the jars two at a time; not wanting the jam to cool at all so my jars would self seal.

Final product!
This made 10-500ml jars however note it would of made 20-250ml jars...which would  of been my pick.

But in any event...Pop pop pop goes the lids!

I'm so excited to return the "travelling jar"...returning the kindness...truly the gift that keeps on giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment