Wednesday 25 September 2013

Left over pumpkin...West African peanut soup

The first time I tasted this soup was at Prairie Ink Cafe in McNally book store in Winnipeg; it's their feature soup and I know why! Delish!!!! I've also had Stella's version; the recipe I've found and loved is from the Moosewood cookbook. 

I had leftover pumpkin and leftover tomato juice; and immediately started to crave West African peanut soup!

First I sautéed 1 large onion and three small carrots with some olive oil, salt and lots of fresh ginger.


I sautéed this for a few minutes and then added stock (4cups) and the leftover pumpkin; I had about two cups.  I really prefer pumpkin instead of sweet potato.
I let this lightly boiled until the carrots were fork tender. Then I blitzed this mixture.




I added the peanut butter and the tomato juice.

I tasted and seasoned it with lots of black pepper and sea salt.



I topped this with chopped green onions, peanuts and a dollop of Greek yogurt and served with toasted pita.

Very comforting and oh so satisfying... Quite the hit at our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment