Saturday 21 September 2013

Weekend chilli

Where to begin?  Our family woke up at 8:50am this morning...with a refreshed sense of strength.  I felt very optimistic with my plans for the day.  Toast and coffee for breakfast, cocoa for Aubrey, piano homework, reading time, say good bye to Jeff, left over fried rice for lunch, a walk to the library, play at the park, smoothies for snack and then what for dinner?  On a cool crisp sunny day....chilli  it is!  And if I making chilli; I'm making cornbread....gluten free corn bread!  It's the absolute best recipe I've ever had....and at least three professional chefs that have eaten at my table agree....so how's that for cred?!

So I feel like a chilli recipe would be a little obvious....I pretty much throw anything in and every bean possible!  The one different thing I did do today was when I was browning my beef with onion and red pepper I froze half for this week; it's either ready for nachos or a pasta bake!  I was pretty excited I thought of that....browning the meat seems to be time consuming. So only doing it once this week seemed like a brilliant thought!




So I threw everything else in the crockpot and let it simmer all day!

Now for the cornbread!

I make my own gluten free flour mix and keep it in and airtight container in the fridge.


Note: that's tapioca starch....I originally didn't know there was such a thing so I used minute tapioca....boy was I wrong!  They sell everything at super store(so probably any grocer)  but you can also get everything at a bulk store. 

Alterations:  if I'm using salted butter I omit the salt, but I do add chopped green onion, shredded cheese and onion salt.  I usually add chopped  jalepenos  too but didn't have any today.
 

Mix all my dry ingredients
Add in my wet ingredients, stir...it will be lumpy

I add in all my garnish additions and stir until just combined. 
I line my cast iron terrine baking dish...it makes the edges so crunchy and delicious. 
Smooth the top.
Bake at 400F 25 minutes
I remove it from the terrine right when it's done;  I don't want it to continue baking since those dishes hold the heat!

So now I'm ready to eat!  Waiting for my sisters to join me...I did a dinner shout out around noon.  Anything made in a crockpot is enough to share!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment