Tuesday 17 June 2014

The season of rhubarb; "hp" chutney

Last year my moms neighbour gave us a boat load of rhubarb. What to make? I wanted something different than pie and jam. My mom had mentioned a chutney recipe from back in their Simcoe days. 
I made a huge pot of it and when I taste tested it I thought "what is this?!".  Before I was just about to throw out the entire pot I thought I'd call my mom. She said "oh it's supposed to taste like HP steak sauce". That made way more sense! It totally tasted like that and it also tasted awesome cold.
So fast forward to this year and the "hp" chutney as we refer to it; was right at the top of our canning list. 
My aunt, mom and I begged our way around Winnipeg finding people willing to part with they're rhubarb!
We gathered, cleaned, chopped, measured out and froze the rhubarb in bags so it would be ready for when we got together to make it.

This is the recipe I found that matched my moms description. 
My only addition was a 1/4tsp of nutmeg per recipe.
My aunt and her mother in law came over and we had enough rhubarb for 4 recipes.
My aunt offered to hold Liam!
We combined everything and just cooked it down!
I sterilized the clean jars in the oven. 








We got 30-250ml portions out of 48 cups of rhubarb.
Not too sure where it comes from but now all I want to do is go down stairs and stare at my growing canning stock! 
I have to remind myself that it's better to give than to receive!!

Aubrey is such a great helper! 
She wanted to take my picture since I'm always taking hers!


No comments:

Post a Comment