Wednesday 11 June 2014

Banana, chocolate and almond coffee cake


Nostalgia plays a big part in my cooking. This bundt pan was my grandma martins and I love to make a good ole coffee cake in it. Since I had three ripe bananas on hand I thought id look for a new recipe.

I followed this pretty closely making a few modifications for what I had on hand. I used sliced almonds instead of walnuts. I used oil instead of the butter. For the buttermilk I used two tablespoons of sour half and half creamer and  one tablespoon of Greek yogurt. 

I combined and set aside the streusel. I totally thought this was too much but it ended up being tasty; decedant but tasty!
Whipped my wet ingredients and then added in the dry ingredients.
I thought it was quite thin for a coffee cake batter but I decided not to mess with it and hoped for the best.
In my greased pan I put half the batter and then half the streusel and then repeated ending with streusel on top.
I put this in my 350F preheated oven and this took exactly 45 minutes. 
I let it cool in the pan on a wire rack and then I inverted it onto a serving plate.
This was moist and very delicious. The streusel topping could be halved in future; it was a little excessive!
Couldn't resist showing off our little man; almost 8 weeks old!

No comments:

Post a Comment