Friday 20 June 2014

Shepard's pie...an oldie but a goodie!

Shepard's pie; I love to eat this comforting dish but realized when I started making it that I have never made a traditional recipe before. I often remember and dream of eating the shepards pie my friend Bonnie would make when I lived with them. 
I decided I'd give it a try with a little consult from our resident professional!
I sautéed diced onion, garlic, carrot, celery and ground beef.  With that I added 3 cans of mushroom soup, thawed drained sautéed diced mushrooms  and two packets of onion soup mix. Once this was cooked I added a whole bag of spinach and a few cups of frozen peas and corn. I taste tested this and adjusted the seasoning with salt and pepper. I didn't season earlier in the process because the soup mixes I added have a lot of sodium so I didn't want to over season; usually I would say season along the way as you cook a dish but this would be the exception.

I have learned my lesson about fillings being too soupy so I made sure I didn't add any water to my mixture and I drained any of the water out of the veggies; I wanted this to be pretty thick.

While the filling was cooking I peeled and diced red skinned potatoes and boiled them until tender.
As the potatoes were cooking I roasted 3 heads of garlic in tinfoil with salt and olive oil.

Once the potatoes were done I mashed in the roasted garlic, butter, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt, milk and seasoned with salt and pepper. 



I evenly distributed the filling between 4 baking dishes. I used one of my baking dishes but three disposable baking dishes so I can give them away if need be.
I divided the potatoes between the dishes and top the filling.
I sprinkled with paprika and once they were completely cooled I wrapped them with plastic wrap and tin foil and put them in the freezer.
These kiddies were enjoying the mashed potatoes!
Four meals in the freezer; now that's something to smile about! I feel like they'd even be worthy I sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment