Thursday 12 June 2014

Raspberry jam; let the canning begin

My wonderful sister came over to watch the kids while they napped so I could go to the store ALONE!
At Costco I couldn't believe the 12oz packages of raspberries were on for less than $3. I bought two but I really should of bought more. When I got home and both kids were sleeping I was inspired to whip up some jam!

I set out my ingredients.
I did 4 cups of fresh berries, 5 cups of white sugar (rather than the 6&1/2cups as requested) with one sac of liquid pectin.  I like a thinner jam; one that can be used as dessert topping too.

When I combined the fresh berries with the sugar I noticed on the instructions that I was to have 4 cups of crushed raspberries so I added about 3 cups of frozen berries to bulk it up.

Put my clean jars in the oven and turned it to 350F once it preheated to 350F I turned the oven off and then they are sterile.
Boiled my sealers and utensils in water.

I rapidly boiled the mixture before I added the liquid pectin and then let it boil for one more minute. If you try making any type of jam follow the recipe on the pectin package; times and quantities differ from fruit to fruit.

I used my magnetic canning tool to grab the sterile sealers. So much easier with this tool. I bought a 6 piece canning set off amazon.ca for under $20; worth every penny!
I got 12-125ml jars and 2-250ml jars.

Aubrey enjoyed the small bowl of berries I saved for her!
Still sleeping however he wanted to be held so we finished the project together!
All done...love the sound of pop pop pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment