Wednesday 18 June 2014

French toast breakfast

Aubrey came home from grandmas a couple days ago talking about French Toast with strawberries and whipped cream. When I asked her yesterday what she wanted for breakfast her quick response was grandma's French Toast. 

I quickly googled a recipe because my experience with French Toast was very different growing up. Grandma's French Toast is much different than my mothers French Toast...my sisters and I talk about how we're not too sure where this grandma came from but we love her!

I was raised with a savoury type of French Toast; it was basically just bread dipped in salt and peppered egg mixture and pan fried. This was traditionally served with ketchup; I think Jeff's initial reaction to this was "ewww disgusting!" and so he has dubbed this omelette bread thinking that name suites it much better.

Back to grandmas Frenh Toast:
I found a French Toast recipe by Alton Brown; 4 whole eggs to 3/4 cup milk, a pinch of salt and  a couple Tbsp of honey.
We whisked those ingredients together.
Our sweet audience!
We poured this into a shallow dish perfect to soak the bread in.

I didn't have stale or day old bread so I just used what I had. I cut the Whole Wheat French Loaf into thick slices.
We let them soak for 30 seconds and then flipped them.
I got my cast iron pan hot and then added a  generous tablespoon of butter; I browned this slightly then started adding my soaked bread. 
Once they were all in the pan I lowered the heat.

I got out all of our topping options; icing sugar, yogurts, maple syrup, jam and thawed mixed berries.
I flipped them when it had a good crust on the one side; I only flipped them once during the cooking process making sure they were even on both sides. I finished them in a 350F oven for about 5 minutes.
For Aubrey's I sprinkled icing sugar and berries.
For mine I put a dusting of icing sugar, a dollap of plain Greek yogurt, a spoonful of berries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Delicious!
Aubrey's response to the French toast was, "mom your French toast was good but grandmas is very good!". I'll take that; how can I compete with sweetened whipped cream?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment