Friday 6 June 2014

Avocado salad

Looking for something to make with perfectly ripe avocado other than guacamole? This was our thought while preparing dinner at my moms. My mom suggested remaking a salad my Aunt Janice used to make. Now this was about thirty years ago way before the avocado became trendy; she was way before her time!  I tried my best to duplicate it just by my moms food memory.
We chopped up 4 avacodo, 1/2 a red onion, 6 dill pickles, and 6 hard boiled eggs. 
To this we added the juice of two lemons, a drizzle of olive oil and seasoned generously with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.


We refrigerated the salad until dinner so we could serve it chilled.


This was our adorable view from the kitchen; sleeping on the job!
We served this salad with seasoned brown rice, chicken skewers and West African peanut soup. 
Wasn't quite warm enough to sit out on the deck for dinner but we did it anyways; our Winnipeg summer is almost half over and it's hardly begun!

The salad was a huge hit; not a morsel was left.  I thought it was really delicious and could also be used as the base for potato salad; the avocado would work like the moyonnaise and all the flavour profiles would work nicely by just adding boiled baby potatoes.
I will definitly keep this recipe in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment