Saturday 25 January 2014

Twice baked carrot cake?

I set out; with very good intentions to make a simple carrot cake. This new recipe looked very easy and I had all of the ingredients so I thought I'd give it a chance!
We got two round pans (which now I realize are 8 inch pans) ready by tracing parchment circles to line the pans with.
Then sprayed the sides.
As far as the cake batter went I mixed all the wet ingredients and then added in the dry ingredients.  For some reason this recipe said to beat for 2 minutes. I have never seen that in a cake recipe before, usually you see "don't over beat!!!!"; but I followed the directions.
Then we mixed in the shredded carrots just until combined. 
Filled our pans.
Bake them at 325 F for 45 minutes....
Meanwhile; I started the icing. I beat the butter and creamcheese until smooth.  I added in the icing sugar, scraped down the sides and then added the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy!
Taste test!

Twenty minutes into the cakes baking time we all of a sudden smelt something....
The recipe called for two 9 inch pans or one 11x13....I guess the inch makes a difference....note to self for future reference.  However I would like to be able to tell you that this was the first time this has happened; unfortunately I cannot!
I quickly decided to try and save them; I needed to take a dessert to my moms for dinner and I really hate wasting good ingredients!
I threw the par-cooked batter in a bowl and mixed it well.
I poured the batter into a greased 9x13 pan.
I got Aubrey to do a puzzle while I quickly turned the oven off and tried to grab the burnt cake droppings from the bottom of the oven before they caught on fire. Trust me it's happened before! Good thing I had put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack in the oven; that saved me a little trouble. 
40 minutes later the cake was ready.  Hoping for the best I let it cool and then iced it.  Everything is better with cream cheese icing!
Moment of truth:
It was delicious, not sure what it normally tastes like but this turned out amazing.  Kind of had a carrot "brownie" quality to it. We all agreed it was delicious.  Normally baking mistakes can't be saved as easily as when you're cooking but I really persevered!  I'm so glad I didn't just throw it out and forget about it.  I have been known to do that before.


No comments:

Post a Comment