Monday 20 January 2014

Family dinner apple crisp

Last night I decided to do a family dinner shout out; "tomorrow - ribs - 5PM - my house"!
Jeff got the ribs braising with a pineapple Asian sauce that he created and even got my cauliflower and carrots on a sheet pan ready to roast.  All I had to do was put the rice cooker on and thicken some of the sauce.  Feeling like I had tons of time and dinner was missing a key ingredient; dessert, I decided to make apple crisp.  Apple crisp seems simple enough but I usually mess up the flour to oat to butter ratio that I was determined to follow a recipe.
This is the recipe my mom uses from the trusty Calvary Temple cook book circa 1997!
 
I lined a 12x12 pan with my frozen apples.  Since they were frozen I omitted the water in the recipe. 
I zested a lemon and added the juice of the whole lemon, a good sprinkle of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla.


Now for the crumble.  For this large baking dish I doubled the recipe.
I mixed all the ingredients together.  I used the coconut sugar and large flake oats; these two specific ingredients I find make a very tasty crisp.

I baked this at 375F for 35 minutes until the topping was golden brown and somewhat crisp.

I served this with a little sweetened cream; the kids favourite part!
Never a dull moment.  The kids took their turns hanging onto/off of grandma and grandpa.  It's so special to see them together.

P.S. My mom said they were the best ribs she's ever had! Thanks Jeff!

No comments:

Post a Comment