Wednesday 22 January 2014

Good, bad and the smelly!

So I went into my cupboard to get my last jar of coconut chicken soup to heat up for dinner.  The putrid smell greeted me first, then the damp jar, then the sight of the popped lid and then the curdled mixture inside.  
Needless to say the jar was thrown out immediately and then I took the next half hour to clean, disinfect and de-stink the shelf.  What went wrong?  It could of been a contaminated jar maybe?  I phoned Jeff at work right away. We had already eaten two of the jars and they were fine so we are thinking it may have been too hot in our cupboard. Our kitchen is very hot and normally canned items are kept in a cold storage room.  That didn't even come to mind when I put it up in the cupboard that has zero ventilation.  Just thought I'd share this with any of you that may attempt canning meat items.  Live and learn!!!!  Now I go to throw a load of laundry in; got to get rid of this smell!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment