Sunday 27 October 2013

Pita pizzas

Sometimes nostalgia plays a big part of what I want to eat.  I remember being a teenager and every time I would go to Evans house their mom would serve pita pizzas. Looking back; we probably ate them out of house and home.

I was totally craving these with a little twist.
I started with a bag of mushrooms that needed to be used up and three smaller onions from the fridge.  I chopped these up finely.
With a little butter and olive oil I put these in a hot pan and just cooked them down.  I wanted them to be carmelized.
I added salt and pepper.
Once they had cooked a little I deglazed my pan with balsamic vinegar, turned my heat down and just let them be.  Stirring every couple of minutes.
To finish them I added a touch of honey to round out the flavours.  This mixture could be done ahead and used for various recipes; a side with steak comes to mind.
I laid out all of my toppings. Grated light mozerella, pineapple, tomato sauce and the sautéed mushroom and onion mixture.  
Whole wheat pitas; I have these on hand in the freezer and used them right from frozen for this.

I put these in the oven at 375F convection.  These took about 8-10 minutes.
My sister came just in time for lunch and loved it.  I was so happy to share!  I made Aubrey's with just sauce and cheese.  I feel this is a great meal for kids.  Quick, easy and you can make it as healthy as you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment