Wednesday 16 October 2013

Italian sausage and vegetable soup

I was craving a brothy soup which morphed itself into what I created...as it usually does... morph! 

I got everything I wanted to use out on the counter.  Celery, carrots, peppers, onions, Italian sausage, cauliflower.  I first chopped up my cauliflower...to temper the cauliflower flavour I decided to roast it.  I put it on a parchment lined sheet pan and put some olive oil and sea salt on it.  

Baked it at 375F convection until slightly brown and fork tender.  



Meanwhile, I sautéed my onions, celery and crumbled in 3 links of hot Italian sausage out of its casing. 

I added the veggies as I chopped them; carrots, yellow and red peppers.

Now for my liquid; I added 1litre of veggie stock and one canned of whole tomatoes and the juice.  Canned tomatoes are a great product because they are canned at their freshest state and hardly processed....I crushed these by hand into the soup.


I tossed in the roasted cauliflower once it was tender.  Now for the taste test....
It needed a little acid at this point; so I added in some apple cider vinegar and added water to the 1/6 of the jar of salsa I had in the fridge, shook that up and added that in.  

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Taste.

A squeeze of honey and we're good!!!!

The sausage was way hotter than expected; I will definitely be serving this with blue corn chips and Greek yogurt to cool the heat.

Sometimes all you need to do is see what you have in the fridge and the inspiration to come and help you create a delicious meal!




No comments:

Post a Comment