Friday 18 October 2013

Lasagna

My neighbour and I had the bright idea to put our grocery lists and manpower together to make lasagnas in bulk.  If you're making one lasagne you mine as we'll make eight...right?  I chose this simple recipe; we're cooking for 4 adults and 5 children under six years old...so for us simple flavours and ingredients work best...no chunks!


As most people know coordinating schedules and children getting sick sometimes conflict; but when I get my mind on doing something I usually don't deviate from the plan...plus I already scheduled to eat one of these lasagnas on Monday! So when my neighbour had to tend to her 5 year old I said I'd assemble the lasagnas; we both had already got our part of the groceries.  We decided to use brown rice noodles to make these gluten free...this way I can share with my sister!
My husband graciously agreed to make the meat sauce; which I figured out later was the most tedious part of the process. There actually is a difference in cooking 8 lbs of ground beef  as compared to cooking 1lbs of groung beef but never the less he agreed and did a delicious job. 
So when I arrived home from work the sauce was simmering on the stove...awesome!
I mixed up the ricotta, cheese and eggs and set it aside.


We omitted the parsley; we didn't want to be asked what the green bits were!

At this point I organized my assembly line.
I followed the instructions and did the layers; sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture and repeat. I ended with sauce and topped with the cheese blend.

Spraying the foil before covering was a great tip; I hate loosing all that cheese when you remove the foil once it's baked.
All done and ready for the freezer; four large GF meals.  I'm super excited!
I have to say the assembly was super easy...I will definitely make this in bulk again...especially if Jeff makes the sauce!


1 comment: