Monday 12 January 2015

Texas pulled pork filling; two different meals!

A few people I know have impending due dates so I thought I would get a few meals in the freezer. They are great to have on hand for having company over or for giving someone. I had put two bags of pulled pork in the freezer at the end of November. I wanted to transform those into something. First I thought toquitos since they freeze well and are also great for a single serving snack; they heat up great in the toaster oven. I also thought a type of shepards pie cassorole. Then I thought I could make both. I'd start with the toquitos filling and then add more sauce and peas and that would be perfect for a Texas style shepards pie. 

Filling
4 cups of pulled pork (any cooked protein)
2 cups of corn
2 sautéed green peppers diced
3 sautéed onions diced
3 cups of shredded cheese
Extra pulled pork BBQ sauce 


I made sure the filling was cooled before I started to assemble the tortilla shells.
I put a heaping 1/2cup into each large tortilla shell.
I folded these, wrapped them individually and put them into a freezer ziploc bag. I wrote the baking instructions on the bag.
-Unwrap
-Place on
-Lined baking sheet
-Brush with oil
-Bake at 350F until brown

Now for the Texas inspired shepards pie! To the remaining filling I added a cup of peas and more BBQ sauce. I divided the remaining filling into two baking dishes. Normally I would used throw away baking containers. It's easier when giving away a meal if no one needs to worry about returning a container however these will be for my neighbours so I'm not concerned.
I put my potatoes on; I didn't over salt the water because I'm planning on adding cheese to the potatoes so I wanted to add salt near the end.
I decided to not peel the potatoes; I thought that a smashed potato topping would be tasty and I was too lazy to peel them all!
I drained the water and then added 1 cup of unsalted butter, 2 cups of cheese and milk until I got the consistency I wanted. The cheese mix was cheddar, mozerella and fresh Parmesan.
To this I seasoned with lots of pepper and sea salt.
I topped the filling with the cheesy potatoes and let them completely cool before covering with plastic wrap and then foil. 
It's super easy to put the baking instructions right on the container. Most of the time when I drop food off to someone I leave it with the husband so I find it easier to write everything down.  Also if they get a lot of food they can stick it back in the freezer and when they go to make it there are no doubts about how to reheat it!
-Remove from freezer atleast one hour before putting in oven
-Remove plastic wrap
-Bake at 350 for 40 minutes covered with foil
-Bake uncovered 20 minutes or until brown
-Enjoy!!!!
Aubrey taste tested the mashed potatoes; she approves!!!
Whew; now to sit and have a coffee while Liam naps!

No comments:

Post a Comment