Monday 5 January 2015

Family day; Freekah salad and Rice Krispie squares


Let me just say I love grocery shopping; especially since superstore has introduced pc points. I love playing that game!

Some days grocery shopping is a rushed process and more of a to-do list but other times it's my time to roam the isles alone with a coffee in hand; like my own mini vacation. When I'm roaming the isles and do not have a timeline. I find myself in the ethnic isle dreaming of the delicious things I could make. Last week I came upon this grain near the quinoa and thought I'd try something new.
I cooked the whole box on the stove with beef broth, (since that is what I had on hand) a little olive oil and salt. It said it should boil and then simmer covered for 25 minutes. This took more like 40 minutes but I wanted it not so chewy. 
I chopped up cucumber, carrots, celery, yellow pepper, a bunch of mint and tossed in some chickpeas and baby arugula. To this I added the juice of one whole lemon and a swig of olive oil with salt and pepper. 
Once the Freekah was cooked I cooled it by laying it out on a sheet pan. When it was cooled I tossed it with the salad and gave it a taste; a little more salt and pepper and it was perfect

I served this with roasted chicken. The chicken was supposed to be the star of the meal but this new dish was surprisingly delicious. 

Now for something a little less healthy!  When we want a sweet treat but don't have the oven space to bake something; Rice Krispie squares it is.
I make them as spelled out on the Rice Krispie box, and yes name brand does matter in this case! 
I melt my marshmallows, butter and vanilla for two minutes in my microwave and then stir in 6 cups of the Rice Krispies. Using wet hands I pressed the mixture into a spring form pan. 
Now for the decadence; 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of peanut butter melted in the microwave and spread on top. These are best served chilled.
It is also best to not take the entire pan and a knife with you to watch a movie; I'm speaking from experience. I think I'll be having a smoothie for breakfast today!

No comments:

Post a Comment