Saturday 10 January 2015

Spicy coconut soup craving


With Liam napping I had time to whip up dinner. I had been craving spicy coconut soup. To order a Thai version of the soup from one of my favourite spots down the street costs $10 for a large bowl. I figured I could make my own vegetarian version for $15; and that would make a 4litre pot.


I first sautéed thinly sliced onions, green peppers, celery and quartered mushrooms.
To this I added 2 cans of diced baby corn. Minus two ramekins full that Aubrey gobbled up!
I drained and rinsed two cans of chickpeas and added those in. Again minus a ramekin full for Aubrey!
At this point you can buy your favourite curry or make your own. I find it easier to buy one jar and stretch it with stock and additional coconut milk.
I emptied the jar of Green coconut curry and then rinsed the jar with stock and added that in.
Once I added the can of coconut milk I tasted it and felt it could be stretched a bit further without  forfeiting flavour. 
I used 1/2 litre of chicken stock in total.
I put in a small swig of kikimon soya sauce; none of this china lily stuff!  Boy that reminds me of my childhood!
I added the chopped whites of the green onions with the sautéed vegetables at the beginning and I saved the thinly sliced  green part to add at the end.
At this point I tasted for seasoning and had my rice going in my trusty rice cooker. From start to finish this took 25 minutes. I think this was quicker then running to the restaurant for a pickup order...definitly cheaper! 
It did not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment