Wednesday 14 January 2015

An ode to duck fat!

My friend Cathy got Jeff and I a mystery basket of sorts for Christmas. She always finds creative things for her chef friends. This year there was a pc black label jar of goose fat in our basket of goodies. Today I brought it out and saw that it recommended using it for roasting potatoes. I just so happened to be making Potato wedges for supper; may I just say these were the best I've ever made!
I used 4 tbsp and a few pinches of seasalt on 6 potatoes cut into wedges.  As far as a fat goes this wasn't higher than butter or olive oil. I don't think I'd cook with this everyday but it's a great alternative. The potatoes we so crispy but perfectly fluffy on the inside. Aubrey loved them and at her request I omitted pepper.

While I was searing the sausages Aubrey was trying her best to keep Liam away from the stove!
There they go now to quickly get these into the oven!
I put both the sheet pan of potatoes and the skillet of sausages in a 375F convection preheated oven.
The sausages took about 25 minutes and the potatoes took about 40 minutes.
I served this with a nice spinach salad and a salsa verde vinaigrette. It was a great salad to cut the richness of the other components.
Even Liam enjoyed the potatoes!

About 8:45pm I was feeling quite hungry for some reason and so Jeff whipped me up truffle oil and Parmesan popcorn. I usually don't eat after dinner but can I just say delish...Yum!  Thanks again Cathy!
Now off to bed before I eat again!

No comments:

Post a Comment