Sunday 18 January 2015

Homemade butter; yes please!


I was given 8 litres of 35% cream so I thought I would try making butter. I can always use butter since I do quite a bit of baking and at almost $5 a pound it can get quite pricey.
I put 2 litres of the cream in my mixer with the whisk attachment. I let it whip.
And whip and whip and whip....
And whip and whip and whip!

At this point I decided to strain some of the liquid out. I probably could of let it go a little longer.

I put the strained mixture back in the mixture with the paddle attachment and then strained it again.
At this point I added a little pinch of sea salt.
I then put the butter into a Saran lined loaf pan to mold it into bricks of butter.
Out of the two litres of cream I got a little over one litre of whey. I was able to make way more butter than I expected.
My butter is on the left and bought butter is on the right. I thought the colour was very comparable and the texture was silky smooth.
It was delicious on a piece of my mother in laws bread that she made us.
I made Grilled cheese for Aubrey and Hurley. They both ate their entire sandwich; that NEVER happens. I think it was definitely the butter!
With 6 litres of cream left; what will I make next...the adventure continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment