Tuesday 19 November 2013

Tortilla Soup

Well I had a craving in full force today...tortilla soup with all the fixings!
I found a recipe from the pioneer women but I only used it as a guideline. You can do that you know! Taste; and decide what you think it needs or doesn't need! It's a wonderful way to cook.

I usually boil a whole chicken; use the stock for the soup base and pull the chicken.  I wanted this taste with a little less work so we picked up a whole roasted chicken.  I removed the skin and pulled all the chicken and set this aside.


I got out my large pot and put the heat on medium high.  I chopped up 4 small onions, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 large red pepper, 2 scallions, 4 ribs of celery.  I sautéed this with onion powder, chilli powder, and 1 chipotle pepper chopped up.  I added in 2 drained and rinsed cans of black beans and about 2 cups of frozen corn.  I added in 3 litres of chicken stock, 1 litre of water, 1 large can of tomatoes that I crushed, zest of 1 lime, chopped cilantro stems and the juice of 3 limes. I added in the chicken, added quite a bit of sea salt and freshly ground pepper and let this simmer for a few hours.



We decided to go outside for a nice family afternoon in the snow!!!! Our wonderful neighbour made Aubrey a snowman building kit; so kit in hand we went outside!
 


 
 


 
 
When we came back inside the house smelt wonderful! 
 
 
We topped the soup with shredded cheese, Greek yogurt, cilantro, hint of lime taco chips and diced avocado.  Jeff and I didn't get much avocado; it's Aubrey's favourite. The soup was wonderful; hit the spot.  I'm excited for lunch tomorrow; I know it will taste even better after sitting all night!

What a great day! So thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment