Monday 18 November 2013

Meat buns...phone a friend!

My friend Cate invited me over today to make meat buns.  I had never tasted this Mennonite recipe but I was very intrigued!  We decided to make a double batch; and split it. She prepped the dough and I pre-made the filling.  Today we got together and assembled/baked the meat buns.  I thought this sounded like a great quick lunch to have on hand. It's suggested to reheat them in the oven for 20 minutes but they can be reheated in the microwave if in a pitch for time. Cate suggests these buns as a great accompaniment to a vegetable soup. 

Here's the recipe from the mennonitegirlscabcook.ca website
Their cookbook is really great; I would definitly reccommend it!

This is our dough after the first rise.
We punched it down and allowed it to rise a second time.
Now for the assembly.  I was surprised at the generous amount allotted for each bun.  Quite hearty!

We let these rise again. Cate was mentioning that the key is to not let them over proof...they will then "burst" as they bake. It's nice when the buns remain intact.
Ready!
Before they are baked; she brushed them with an egg wash and a little sprinkle of Maldon sea salt ( a must-have in my house!).
They took around 18 minutes.  They baked much more evenly and browned nicely on the baking sheets and stoneware. We wouldn't reccommend using glassware. 
Aubrey had a great time playing with her friends as the moms baked the afternoon away! I would definitly reccommend taking an afternoon, combining efforts, and adding to your freezer.  I would of never come up with this recipe as a meal idea.  It's great to hear of friend's "go-to" recipes! I hope this inspires you; phone a friend; plan a date!
On our way home! I think she missed her nap!
Thanks Cate for opening your home, your recipe book and making us such a yummy lunch! Hope to do it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment