Tuesday 12 November 2013

Aubrey's sticky chicken


Sometimes inspiration presents itself and other days it just doesn't.  Today I was completely inspired with Asian flavours and an entire meal concept.  I had purchased this bag salad over the weekend from Costco. Bok Choy, Broccoli Slaw and different cabbages.  It comes with a sesame soy vinaigrette and salted peanuts. 

It screamed out for sticky, tangy, sweet, pieces of chard-like chicken.  All I had was a bag of 7 chicken thighs so I thought serving this sliced over the salad would be a great way to stretch it as well.
I laid out all of my flavours.  Apple cider vinegar, Hoison, Saracha, Soya Sauce, Lime, fresh ginger, Fresh garlic and scallions.  I added about a 1/4 cup each of hoison, soya sauce and apple cider vinegar to a bowl and whisked it up with chopped garlic, chopped scallion, shaved ginger, lime zest, juice from half of a lime. I added about a 1 tbsp of saracha, not wanting to make it too spicy for Aubrey.  I tasted this; it packed a punch but that is what you want in a marinade.

I poured this in my Ziploc bag of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  I let this marinade for maybe 10 minutes.  I heated my pan with olive oil lining the bottom of my cast iron pan.  Making sure it was hot but not yet smoking I shook the excess marinade off of them as I laid the chicken thighs; what would of been skin-side down in the pan. I left this for a good 4 minutes; trying to get a good char and sear on them.  I lowered my heat to about medium high. I flipped them and then lined the perimeter of my pan with some of the marinade so that it could reduce.  I added a touch of honey to this and transferred my pan to my 375F convection preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes; tossing them in the pan every few minutes. 

I pulled my chicken apart with the tongs and made sure each piece was coated generously.
While the chicken was in the oven I decided to quickly make mashed sweet potatoes.  I had peeled and diced up a sweet earlier in the week and froze it.  It was getting a bit soft and I didn't have a use for it so instead of wasting it I just threw it in the freezer.  This came it handy; I added hot water to a pot and added it in.  I brought it to a boil and once it was fork tender I drained the water and mashed it up with a little butter, chopped cilantro, grated ginger, salt, pepper and greek yogurt. 


Aubrey kept on asking for more and more and more chicken! 
Jeff dubbed this dish; "Aubrey's sticky chicken".  They both said this recipe would have to be made again.  It was super simple and super satisfying.  I hadn't defrosted the chicken at 4:50pm and we were eating by 5:20pm!



Aubrey thoroughly enjoyed the salad; especially the sugar snap peas and the peanuts!



Sticky chicken, bok choy slaw with peanuts and sesame dressing and mashed sweet potato with fresh ginger, cilantro and greek yogurt.
This is what was left...it's nice when it turns out and everyone enjoys what you've created!

No comments:

Post a Comment