Wednesday 6 August 2014

Repurposed...

Repurpose. I have taken quite the reprieve from blogging, it seemed so non-important in the light of the most recent events in my families life. When you lose someone you love and a family member close to you looses a dream you feel helpless and everyday things tend to seem so insignificant. 

After time away from blogging and a literal time away I feel inspiration again. Inspiration came from the food, laughter and memories made around the dinner table with family and friends.
I took the kids to Ontario to see good friends of mine and extended family. 
*grandma Bonnie and grandpa Ken

The trip was a much needed vacation from sadness but unfortunately sorrow doesn't take vacations. I've come to terms with the fact that I am still here and so I am to live and live to my fullest potential. Tragedy tends to bring this out in people for a season but I honestly feel my life has been forever changed by our time with Jerry Harder. How could one person have such an impact on
the people around him in such a short period of time?  Inspiring to say the least.

A couple nights ago we had dinner at my uncle and aunts house. 
*Samantha, Aubrey, Liam and Aunt Darlene

Using leftovers my uncle made a yummy stirfry and picked up Kung Poa chicken to complete the meal. Spicey to describe the chicken would be an understatement and I love spice. A lot of rice, two glasses of milk and a bowl of icecream later and my "taco bells" were still ringin'!  "My Taco Bells are ringin'!" is a Martin family phrase authored by my late-grandfather as he stood outside a gas station chugalugging a 2 Litre jug of milk after eating Taco Bell for the first time!

The next day we had quite a bit left over which is unusual for us Martins so you know it was over the top hot. In the night I had dreamt of the perfect way to repurpose these spicey leftovers, Kung Poa Chicken Quesdillas!
I chopped up the Kung Poa chicken and peppers and mixed that with the white rice. I set out my GF tortilla shells on a lightly greased parchment lined baking sheet. I spread a sparse layer of shredded cheese and then topped with the Kung Poa filling and then more cheese and another tortilla shell. I put a little more oil on the top shell and put in a 400F oven on convection.
*finished product

Meanwhile my sister whipped up a delicious guacamole and a ranch Greek yogurt sauce. With all these componants together we were hoping to cool down the spice level.

My aunt was amazed at how fast we whipped everything up and I think we were all amazed at how "tame"  but flavourful they were!
I love when a vision materializes! 

Now as I make my way home I am feeling that I have been forever "repurposed" so to speak. I feel much more aware of how short life is, how real death is and what I personally believe about it. I am so grateful for this revelation and my prayer is that when I'm gone I will have made a difference and an eternal impact; but to realize this goal I must actually LIVE with purpose and so I continue my faith journey repurposed...

In loving memory of Jerry Harder.
April 9, 1983 - July 19, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment