Thursday 21 August 2014

Fish tacos

My dad dropped off a bag of freshly caught pickerel for us to enjoy. Immediately I thought of fish tacos! So I did a supper shout out to my siblings; instantly I felt sadness as I realized Jerry wouldn't be there; the day before he died I hosted a stirfry night. I will forever remember that final meal together.  Cooking for me is therapeutic; so I turned on some music and began to assembly the taco toppings.

Sautéed onions, peppers, peaches along with some salsa.
I coated the fish with a cornmeal, chili, salt and pepper mixture. 
I added some olive oil and and set this in the fridge until I needed it. I knew the fish would take 8-12 minutes max!

Added the remaining chopped cilantro to the pepper mixture.

I made a cilantro Greek yogurt sauce.
To the Greek yogurt  I added some chipotle Tabasco, cilantro, lime juice and zest.
I blitz this with my immersion blender; this made a great "sour cream" like topping for the tacos.
Baked the fish at 415F for 8-12 minutes; until golden brown and slightly firm to the touch.
The table looked full with shredded cheese, guacamole, shredded lettuce, salsa, baked beans, pepper mix, tacos and the crispy pickerel.
The kids really enjoyed all the variety of flavours!

Jerry had recently filled my basement fridge with pop since I never had any for family dinners; so we all enjoyed a Fresca, shared a laugh and thought of him. It's crazy how life just keeps going; and then you get these moments that bring it all back fresh in your mind. These are the times that it's great to be with family; share a meal and make more fun memories. These are a few ways we will together live through the sadness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment