Monday 25 August 2014

Lemon blueberry muffins

Woke up this morning remembering that I had a huge bucket of fresh wild blueberries in my fridge. Oh the possibilities! 
I told Aubrey I was going to bake something and I asked her if she'd like to join. "Oh yes mama I'll grab a chair!"
What a wonderful way to begin the week.

I used this recipe before and knew I enjoyed them so I thought I'd make them again. Definitly not healthy but sometimes you need to live on the edge!
1 cup butter
1&1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1tsp vanilla
2tbsp each lemon juice and zest (I would of doubled the juice; needed a bit more lemon flavour)
2&1/2 cup flour
1/2cup cornmeal
2tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1cup milk
1&1/2 cup blueberries
2tbsp flour

First things first; taste test the berries!
They're good!
We mixed the butter and sugar together using the paddle attachment.
We added in the eggs.
Vanilla 
And the juice of one lemon and the zest of two lemons. After tasting one I should of added the juice of two lemons; it needed a little more of a lemony zip.  

At this point the recipe warns that the batter will look curdled and it did. Thank goodness they said something!
Separately we mixed the dry ingredients and measured out the milk. We added this to the mixer alternately adding the dry ingredients and the milk: beginning and ending with the dry ingredients 
While this was lightly mixing Aubrey measured out the blueberries and gently mixed with two tbsp of flour. This will allow the blueberries to evenly distribute and not turn the batter blue!
I very delicately folded the flour-coated berries into the Muffin mixture.
We filled 13 lined large muffin cups and 24 sprayed mini muffin cups.
We had a little sticking with the mini ones but I think I tried too early to take them out. Patience!!! I don't always have or display this quality.

With the remaining washed berries we divided them into 4 freezer bags of 1&2/3 cups. This will be great to have on hand ready to use for pies, smoothies and or muffins. 
After the muffins were taste tested and approved by Aubrey it was lunch time. Aubrey requested cheese quesdillas and and as I was making them I could hear her counting down from the other room, "and 54321 and step back!!!!".  As she ate them she pretended she was a judge on the cooking show "chomped" (chopped) and critiqued my dish. Oh the imagination and vocabulary of my three year old. "It's cheesy on the inside crunchy beautiful and delicious on the outside; you've won! Your not chomped!" Never a dull moment.
What a great way to start my Monday now to sit with a coffee and enjoy a muffin with my smiling man!

No comments:

Post a Comment