Wednesday 27 August 2014

Split Pea and Ham Soup

Autum is in the air and with that brings soup season to our household. Who doesn't love to have a big pot of soup on the stove when it's sweater weather out?
I gathered all of my ingredients; starting with two hearty ham bones, carrots, onions, celery, bacon, garlic, thyme and a bag of split peas.
I chopped 5 carrots, 3 onions, 6 ribs of celery, 4 pieces of bacon, thyme and 16 pieces of garlic and sautéed everything together until tender making sure that I seasoned everything generously with salt and pepper.  Seasoning as you go is a great tip to remember when making soup; you don't just want to season at the end. We refer to this as "flavour building" in our home.
At this point I added in the ham bones.  Aubrey was a little curious as to what was sitting on the counter. 
She then wanted to help me. We added in 24 cups of water; making sure the pot was quite full.
We let this come to a boil and then added in a bag of split peas and about 4 cups of frozen peas. We let this until the peas were tender.
This is the best view when I'm cooking!
Once the peas were tender we removed the ham bones. We then cut off the remaining meat and chopped it into bite size pieces and set this aside.
We used our immersion blender and blitzed it until smooth. I then checked the seasoning. I added additional sea salt, cracked black pepper and worcheshire sauce just to round out the flavours. 
We then added the diced ham back into the soup.
Ready to eat! So simple! This whole process from start to finish took about an hour and a half.  This pot made atleast 10 litres of soup; definitly enough to share which is the best part of making a huge pot of soup!

It's now been five days and I have enough soup for one bowl left. This has been so great to have on hand this week for my 3 year old's hungry tummy, lunch with my sister, my friend who's a new mommy, my busy neighbour, a few unexpected visitors and for myself at 3pm today when I realized I completely forgot to eat lunch!  

Our family motto is so true; "sharing is fun!".



No comments:

Post a Comment