Saturday 9 August 2014

Gluten free baking

Baking usually makes me feel better but Gluten-free and baking don't usually go together. My mother-inlaw gave me this "Cloud 9 Cup for Cup All Pupose Gluten Free Flour" she purchased at Costco. I have to say I used to make my own all purpose gf flour mix but it definitly wasn't cheaper I just found it was able to be interchanged easily into most recipes.  I wasn't however able to find a gf flour that made good muffins. I always found them to be an odd texture almost gummy-like. 
I decided to give this flour a try with a sourcream banana muffin recipe. 
I made several variations to the recipe for what I had on hand.  I combined oil, brown sugar and three ripe bananas in my mixer and whipped it well.
I then added Greek yogurt and eggs to that and continued mixing. 

We added in the gf flour along with the baking soda, powder and salt. 
Instead of the walnuts we added chocolate chips!
Making sure to taste a few!
We filled our greased mini muffin tins.
This recipe made 24 mini muffins and a small loaf. I baked the muffins for 22 minutes and the loaf took closer to 40 minutes. 
I was heading over to moms for dinner so I threw the cooled muffins into a bag and off we went. I taste tested a warm muffin and I wasn't sure what I thought of them however trying a cooled one with a cup of coffee I enjoyed it much better. 
Later in the evening I started to notice the bag of muffins started to disappear!
Then I received this photo on my phone!
My brother in law Jim was a big fan of them. I let him know that they were gluten free; he said he wouldn't of been able to tell.  
I was really excited for Jan to try them since she was the one of had in mind when I made them!

Liam with the "original four" as we like to refer to ourselves!
After dinner BDI; The Bridge Drive In is a Winnipeg summer night icecream tradition.
What a great way to cap off the day

No comments:

Post a Comment