Sunday 11 May 2014

Mother's Day trifle

I made last minute plans to have my in-laws over for dinner tonight.  I had dinner all prepared; or shall I say Jeff had it all prepared! He had made me a few lasagnas and put them in the freezer; perfect for last minute dinner plans!   So what to make for dessert?  I had some lemon pound cake in the freezer, a Devonshire custard in the cupboard, and allot of coconut.  Trifle was calling my name so I picked up strawberries to tie these ingredients all together.  Trifle is a great way to combine simple ingredients into something yummy.  I prefer to make individual trifle; I find a large one gets looking not so appetizing after one person dives in.

I set out my dishes...
To the can of Devonshire custard I added 1 cup of Greek yogurt, 1tsp vanilla and 1tbsp icing sugar.  This allowed me to stretch the custard without adding additional fat.  
In my dishes a put a dollap of custard and then lined the dish with thinly sliced strawberries.
To this I added 4 small chunks of lemon pound cake.
I topped the cake with the remaining custard.
I finished this off with chopped strawberries.
Before serving I sprinkled a heaping tablespoon of toasted coconut on top.
It turned out really good; sure didn't disappoint my taste buds!

Happy Mother's Day!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment