Friday 1 July 2016

Curry Coconut chicken and waffles!

Happy Canada day yesterday!  We woke up to sunshine and blue sky. Jeff and I quickly decided we wanted to get out with the kids before he had to leave for work at noon. We got dressed and headed to the park. We took in the sights and sounds of Canada in Assiniboine park before the crowds got there. That's more my style; crowds tend to give me a rash!We stopped at a little coffee shop for breakfast, stopped by my aunts place for a quick chat and freshly baked cookies and then headed home. 
Jeff left for work, I put Liam down for a nap, Aubrey went for a quiet time and I sat in my window. 
Breathe.
So thankful! 
I made myself a decaf.
After an hour Liam was still sleeping so Aubrey and I cleaned a few windows, picked some weeds outside and then I decided to get dinner prepped.
We were having our neice and nephew coming for a Canada day sleep over so I decided to make my famous curry coconut chicken.
I chop up chicken thighs and in a bowl added:
Unsweetened coconut
Cornmeal
Cornstarch
Sesame oil
Salt
Pepper
Curry powder
Ground Ginger
I mixed that up and layed it on a lined cookie sheet adding a bit of grape seed oil. This went in the fridge. I get my rice cooker ready and with this the fridge it's literally press a button, put the chicken in the oven, open a bag salad, toss and dinner is ready.
Out of a 425F oven on convection for 35 minutes the chicken looked like this.
Boneless skinless Chicken thighs are very difficult to dry out  so that's why I like them; and they're pretty cheap.
Dinner was a hit!
After a bedtime snack and about 30 minutes before bed the kids asked me what would be on the menu for breakfast. I told them I hadnt really gotten that far. So they asked for waffles. I thought sure! So I looked up an easy recipe I could just prep and leave overnight. 
We said our good nights and I headed upstairs to tackle the waffle batter.
Super simple!
Mix dry
Mix wet
Add wet to dry
Mix
Mix
Mix
Cover with lid
Refrigerate

In the morning I took the lid off and found a risen batter; I was excited to see how'd they turn out.
My trusty side-kick had woken at 6:30am so he was definitly ready for the breakfast shift. Their mom was coming at 9am so I got going on breakfast around 7:30.
Coffee? Yes please!
The recipe wasn't quite clear but once the waffles are the colour you'd like them to be you are to lay them on a lined cookie sheet and put them in the oven. This isn't just to keep warm; they need to finish cooking. Glad I figure that out because once they were fully cooked they were delicious. I originally was just putting them in the toaster oven once they were "cooked" to keep warm but they were getting crowded and loosing their crispy exterior so I put them in my oven at  350F convection. This made a huge difference! These waffles are definitly different than your traditional waffle but the yeast batter does have a nice flavour and texture that stands up to lots of toppings.
Our toppings:
Mixed fruit
Butter
Maple syrup
Strawberry purée
Mounds of whipped cream
Mango
Aubrey tried to make it a "chopped" competition; of course!
It was very special to have the cousins together. I'm very thankful to have family close. Sometimes this becomes so normal to me. I don't want to take it for granted. Another thing I can always be thankful for!
Yes he's eating a bowl of whipped cream with waffle sticks lol!
She insisted I take this photo. It's reminiscent of the end of "chopped" when the winner is announced. 
All in all it was a great couple of days.  After I wrote this I didn't have to wonder any longer why I just woke up from a nap. I love long weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment