Saturday 16 July 2016

Soup and biscuits

Jeff spent the night consoling Liam so I thought I would start our day off with a huge pot of Starbucks coffee and breakfast pitas.
I used leftover sautéed ham, sliced tomato, cheese melted on the lightly toasted pita and then topped that with a perfectly over-easy egg.
Liam enjoyed his deconstructed version! He was quite happy but I guess he did the sleeping while Jeff sat up holding him.
I was thoroughly impressed with myself; this took literally 10 minutes to create!
After Liam's lengthy nap (Praise the Lord!) I met up with Cher and the kids. We had a sweet picnic at a splash pad. It was the perfect way to spend the afternoon.
When I got home with my kids I decided to whip up tomorrow's lunch. It will be Jeff's day off and it's always nice for him
not to cook on his day off. I used farmers sausage, diced onion, celery and carrot (I used grapeseed oil and butter with a generous amount of salt and pepper). After this was nice and sautéed I threw in a handful of spinach. For the stock, I put a ham bone from the freezer in the pot and covered it with water. I added a package of onion soup mix along with a touch of salt and pepper. I put the heat back on high and once it came to a boil I turned it down to simmer.
Once it was simmering I added in two cans of white beans, my kids love beans!

What is soup without biscuits? I decided to run an experiment. I made the biscuit dough tonight and am interested in seeing if the dough bakes evenly after being portioned and refrigerated overnight. If phillsbury can do it why can't I?

I love this trick for incorporating the butter evenly. I used a box grated to shred the cold butter. (I'm pretty sure my foodie friend shared this tip with me!)
My little helper was on his perch!
I wrapped this tightly with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge; we'll see!
Once Liam was in bed Aubrey requested a bowl of soup for bedtime snack. Aubrey then told me that I am the best cooker in the world! Look out Jeff I can make a mean bowl of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment