Wednesday 6 July 2016

Bran muffin fix!


I woke up this morning with the game plan to make bran muffins. So my little man and I got to work. Here's the recipe I used.
I decided to make a double recipe to used up the litre of buttermilk and the box of cereal measured out as perfectly nine cups. I used coconut brown sugar as my sugar. Once I was mixing the batter I realized it was super thick. I tried adding about a cup of Greek yogurt but that didn't even seem to make a huge difference. 
After they were baked And I tasted one  I thought, "yikes I have a lot of this batter to use up and these taste aweful". I used a regular bran cereal not raisin bran but I don't think that was the issue; they tasted of flour and gummy.  People that know me know I hate to waste so I began to think "how can I save this!".
When I was at work I had the bright idea to look for another recipe and tweak the one I had. I found a recipe with the exact amounts I had used plus the additional ingredients below. So to the above recipe doubled plus 1 cup of Greek yogurt (you can probably omit this) I added the following:
It took me a few minutes to get the batter smooth but once I did I baked off a test batch.They turned out beautifully; the molasses made all the difference so with two dozen muffins already baked off I have still quite a bit of batter left. And now that they taste good I can share!
I baked these at 350F for 30 minutes
The kids approved!
I am so relieved I didn't waste all those ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment