Thursday 18 February 2016

My sweet Valentines; Chinese chicken

We signed up to take a "fruit platter" to aubreys class for their valentines party. This is what Aubrey and her dad came up with. I heard it was a hit at her class.
To celebrate Valentine's day I wanted to make  the family our favourite meal. Chinese chicken, roasted garlic brocolli with jasmine rice.
This meal is so simple and so tasty. 
First i get the rice cooking in my rice cooker. I then get the brocolli in small pieces on a lined sheet pan with chopped garlic, olive oil, sea salt and sesame seeds. I set that aside.
Next I chop up boneless skinless chicken thighs and put the small pieces in a bowl.   To the chicken I add cornstarch, salt and pepper. I make sure the chicken is coated evenly and then add a few swigs of olive oil.
I spread the chicken out on a lined sheet pan. I cook this on 400F for 20 minutes
When the chicken is about half way cooked I coat the chicken in whatever VH sauce I have on hand.
I put this back in the oven for 20 minutes.
When the chicken is almost done I toss it with either peanuts or cashews. This step is optional; depending what I have hand.
I return the pan to oven for an additional 10 minutes. I like the sauce to adhere to the chicken and get crispy. When I return the chicken for the last 10 minutes I put the brocolli in the oven. The brocolli only takes about 10 minutes on that high of heat.
And voila!
This is our favourite meal and honestly it is so simply and so satisfying. I always makes tons of these dishes because they reheat perfectly in the oven and its so convenient to have on hand.

After Liam went to bed we played a little hair dresser before aubreys bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment