Monday 1 February 2016

Barefoot contessa's raisin scones


So what happens when your coworker/BFF  tells you that they've been craving raisin scones just like their grandma used to make them? You go home and make them! Well that's what I do. I come by it honestly; that is totally a "Miriam" move . I can still remember as a child eating dinner and someone mentioning rice pudding and all of sudden my mom would be at the stove.  Before we knew it there would be sweet little "fruit nappy" dishes infront of us filled with warm rice pudding even sprinkled with cinnamon. So why not make someones nostalgic food memory come true!?!

 I'm with my friend on this one though; I'm also not a fan of "the raisin" but give it to me in a buttery scone and I'll take three please. I looked online for an east coast version of a raisin scone and found Ina's rendition which she dubbed "easy". I totally agree this is a great recipe and very well explained. I attached the link below for a step by step recipe.
For full recipe see link below!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/raisin-scones-recipe.html
I put all the dry ingredients into the mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and added in cold butter cut into small squares. I beat this on low until the butter was incorporated (sand like texture).
I whisked up my cream and eggs before adding it into the flour mixture. I used half and half instead of heavy cream because that's all I had. 
I mixed this just until incorporated.
I tossed the raisins with the extra 1 tbsp of flour and added that in just mixing until the raisins were distributed pretty evenly.
I dumped this out onto my generously floured counter and instead of rolling it out as it suggested I just pat it out evenly. It was so light!
I used my pizza cutter to cut the triangles out. This made this part of the process very simple.
I whisked up an eggwash as directed.
I brushed the tops and edges with the eggwash.
I sprinkled with sugar; course sugar would of worked better I think.
Now to wait patiently and see if it worked out!
Uh ya it did! Well I hope so. Food memories are a little tricky. Sometimes they can take you right back to grandmas kitchen and other times they just can't live up to the memory.
Well I'm sure they'll be received with open arms; when it comes to friends...the thought usually counts most!

No comments:

Post a Comment