Monday 24 March 2014

Kraft Magazine's Rainbow Layer Cake Review

My mom makes a dessert for my dads monthly board meeting.  She sometimes will phone me for ideas; yesterday over lunch we got discussing it.  I had asked if she could watch Aubrey and immediately we agreed that I would make the dessert when I came and got Aubrey.  Nice trade for us both!  

Now for what to make? After what; thirty years of making a monthly dessert I can see how she sometimes looses inspiration.  I noticed her kraft magazine on the counter and asked if she had looked at it.  She right away said she was thinking how nice it would be to make the dessert on the cover.  So I agreed to send Aubrey with the 4 round pans needed and my trusty offset spatula.  


I wasn't getting to her house until 2:30ish so she decided to make the cakes with Aubrey and I would assembly and decorate when I got there.

Grandma had both kiddies and still managed to get the cakes done and give them both haircuts!!!!


She made an extra cake mix and made cupcakes for the kids...they were a hit!

I followed the recipe closely however I did use two wooden scewers to keep the cake in place.  It was as if I was making a very tall tower.  You should know, this dessert needed to feed 12; but as I reread the recipe this says it serves 24...it definitly would it was massive!!!!!  This would be perfect for an Easter feast!

This was our final product.  The recipe was very easy to follow and I feel it turned out very comparable.

We decided some toasted coconut would pair well with the fruit flavours and the very light fresh tasting icing.  The sourcream added such a nice flavour.  I think if I made this again I would attempt to use real whipped cream instead of kool whip but that would be my only modification.
And now for the reveal:
I sent the cake with my dad and my one request was that as he served it he take a picture for me.  
Well I just received a text from his associate with these photos attached and a "thank you!"


I'm going to suggest this for Easter dinner; one dessert that feeds 24 people...sign me up!



3 comments:

  1. Looks good! This is definitely a wow cake! I made this cake for Levi's birthday a couple of years ago. I used fresh fruit puree instead of jello and it was amazing. I also used real whipping cream :) http://blog.bollman.ca/2012/04/levis-birthday-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Did you do blueberry, raspberry, lemon and strawberry purée?

      Delete
  2. I did raspberry, orange(1 drop orange food coloring), lemon, kiwi (one drop green food coloring, the picture shows the green brighter than it was, it was kinda muddy looking in real life) and blueberry.

    ReplyDelete