Monday 3 March 2014

Banana loaf

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at home getting everything ready for the week.  You know the drill; meals organized, dishes done, laundry washed folded and put away.  While this whirlwind was happening Aubrey asked if we could make "banana loap"...of course I was more than happy to use up the four very ripe bananas on the counter.  
I made a revised version of my regular recipe to use the ingredients I had on hand:
4 cups of white flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/3cups brown sugar
2 eggs
4 bananas
1/2 cup of my homemade chunky cinnamon applesauce
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup mini chocolate chips

I asked Aubrey to go get a headband on to get her hair out of her face; she came back wearing this tiara!

We mixed the bananas, eggs, oil, applesauce, yogurt, and sugar together with the paddle. 
In a separate bowl we mixed the flour, salt and baking soda together.

With the mixture on low we added in the flour mixture slowly.  We added in the chocolate chips as well and gave it one last whip.
I love Ghirardelli baking chocolate; I always pick a few bags up when I'm in the states.  Aubrey chose mini chips for this recipe!

My taste tester approved!
This recipe filled two loaf pans; which I lined with parchment for easy clean up.
After 55 minutes at 350F they were done.
I think this is the best loaf I've ever made.  The only thing I can think of that I did differently was the tweaked recipe and that while I was in the basement getting the flour I left the mixture running.  The wet ingredients whipped on medium speed for probably 6-8 minutes.  Not sure if that had anything to do with it? 

I love to share; especially when the recipe turns out.  Between my work, Jeff's work and our tummies the loaves are pretty much gone....that didn't take long!

No comments:

Post a Comment