Sunday 2 March 2014

Hamburger soup

It's been about two weeks since my last blog.  I have realized two things; my husband makes a lot of the meals and when I do cook or bake I make the same recipes over and over again not quite blogging excitement.
Well I am back at it now! Jeff and I have been really sticking to our grocery budget and have been making a weekly soup to take care of lunches.  This is very helpful; I get home at 12:15 from work and Jeff leaves at 12:20.  So having lunches done is a weight lifted off my shoulders.  Trying to figure out how people take care of more than one child.  We have six weeks until the little man arrives!

It was my turn to make this weeks soup; "hamburger soup with barley". I was feeling nostalgic! 

3litres beef stock
2large cans of diced tomatoes plus juice
1cup of pearl barley
2lbs of ground beef 
4 ribs of celery chopped
3carrots chopped
2onions chopped
Bunch of parsley chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

First I just put all of the stock, tomatoes and barley in the crockpot and turned it on high.
Meanwhile I sautéed the beef, drained the fat and added it to the crockpot.  
I chopped and sautéed all of the vegetables. Seasoned with salt and pepper and then added the vegetables to the crockpot. 
Chopped some parsley and added it in; stirring everything well.  I put the lid on the crockpot and just let it cook!
Looking good but I will give this atleast 4-5 hours in the crockpot.  

After tasting the soup I added quite a bit of salt and worcheshire sauce.  I think it will taste even better tomorrow; by Friday it should be amazing!!! 

1 comment:

  1. This post made my mouth water! I think I need to make this! :) xo

    ReplyDelete