Thursday 19 May 2016

Hummus

Here's my beautiful mom! She turns 64 tomorrow; hard to believe. My sisters, sister-in-law and I took her out to Olive Garden for her birthday this past Monday. What a fun time; laughter is seriously the best medecine. 
We laughed, we ate, I even shed a few tears, it was seriously an amazing night. My heart was full and so was my stomach! I love my people!
Yesterday I decided I needed to pull back from my "I eat everything" policy! I went to the store and bought pretty much everything green in the store. I was headed to the cooler isle to pick up some  hummus when i decided id try to make it instead. When all is said and done it is way cheaper to make it than to buy it.

I found this recipe by Jamie
Oliver; it was super simple and very easy to follow.
The cans of chickpeas were $1 each. The secret of this recipe is really keeping the liquid from the canned chickpeas and using 7 tbsp to thin out the hummus. It's a great way to cut back on the oil without changing the flavour profile. I've made hummus in the past with vegetable stock  instead of oil and it really doesn't taste the same.
This jar of tahini was $6.99; this ingredient is really what makes hummus authentic.
Fresh lemon; about .80cents.
I got about a 1 Litre container 3/4 full of  hummus from this recipe. Usually I buy a 380 g container for $4 so I would say this is a great recipe to make homemade; especially when your two year old eats it by the bowl-full!  
The kids were super excited about the homemade hummus and Aubrey ate two bowls of the quinoa and kale salad I made that had a homemade lemon dressing. Eating healthy can taste good and with a little planning it can be convenient too.

Took this little monkey to get a haircut! He only cried the entire time; until they said "all done" and he started to wave and said "bye bye bye bye"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment