Friday 27 May 2016

Chili for days and Gluten Free Banana Muffins

When I make a pot of a chili, I make a large pot of  chili. I used ground pork, chopped onion, white beans, black beans, my mother in-laws homemade tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and tons of chili powder, salt and pepper. 
I decided to add a few non-classic ingredients to my chili; essentially emptying out my fridge I added leftover red wine, chopped spinach and kale.
Lastly I added frozen corn and let this simmer on the stove with the lid on for over an hour.
I took this little guy outside.  He had a lot of fun in the water; one of the pluses to having a child that plays hard is one that sleeps hard as well! 

I had the thought to attempt Gluten free banana muffins in the spirit of cleaning ingredients up. I've had a bag of frozen bananas in my freezer for a few weeks so I thought it was time to use it up.  I usually keep a Ziploc bag of ripe, peeled bananas in my freezer.  This allows them to be easily used for smoothies or baking.  I love having them pre-peeled.

Below is the recipe I came up with.  I used a regular recipe as the blueprint, as well as tweaked a few things to suit what I had on hand.  I had a cup of outdated sour cream/greek yogurt that I could not bring myself to throw out so I incorporated that into my recipe.
4 cups brown rice flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1&1/3 cup brown sugar
3 extra large eggs
7 (slightly thawed frozen) bananas
1 cup oil
1 cup sour cream/greek yogurt
I baked these on the middle rack in a 350F oven for about 30-35 minutes.
 
I could not believe how awesome they turned out.  I thought to myself "did I add anything with gluten?"; they taste too good.  I have no idea why but they baked so evenly and were a very pleasant texture. 
I took some over to my neighbor who suffers from Celiac disease and after she tasted them she texted me to double check that they were infact gluten free because they tasted so good.  People who bake gluten free know that doesn't happen often!

No comments:

Post a Comment