Tuesday 2 September 2014

Pretend birthday party! Confetti cake Pinterest review

Aubrey woke up this morning with the bright idea to have a pretend birthday party with pretend gifts but real cake. More specifically cake with pink icing. I couldn't refuse! 
I went on Pinterest and found this recipe

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/03/19/easy-homemade-funfetti-cake/

I went through the blog and followed the instructions.

Following the blogs instruction we put the cake together however I didn't have the specific sprinkles it called for. The batter turned grey from the sprinkles so I added some pink food colouring paste to try and fix it.
The batter stayed kind of greyish purple. Oh well; we'll fix it with icing!
We packed up the cake and took it to grandmas to ice later once it was cool. Once grandma heard about Aubrey's pretend birthday she had a great idea. We turned it into an actual dinner party for Hurley since his birthday is in a couple weeks and they'll be away. So Aubrey, Liam, mom and I ran to the store to grab Hurley a birthday gift and cream cheese for the icing. We did a family dinner shout out!


Now to ice the cake: Instead of the buttercream it suggested on the blog I did my cream cheese icing with pink food colouring (we didn't think Hurley would mind!).
I decided to cut the cake to add a layer of icing in the middle.
We topped it with colourful sprinkles.

So after dinner we sang happy birthday to Hurley and happy pretend birthday to Aubrey! 


As for the Pinterest review: I think I would definitly make this cake again however I would try to find the sprinkles that wouldn't bleed into the batter. 
Grandma even surprised Aubrey with a pretend birthday gift! Oh grandma!

Hurley seemed to really enjoy his party! He ate up the cake and loved his new jeans from grandma and papa.

What a great pretend birthday she had!  It's so fun living with a three year old; each day is an adventure. We never know what Aubrey will imagine up next....tons of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment