Tuesday 16 September 2014

Baking with sleeping beauty; fancy apple pie!

Aubrey's papa was coming over so we decided to make a dessert. What to make? We had a crisper full of apples that were a little wrinkly. This was the perfect time to transform them into applesauce or pie...pie it is!
I still had my mother-inlaws apple peeler so we got these prepped in a flash. Since these apples were a little soft Aubrey was able to peel them all on her own.

I just needed to make a few cuts and these were all ready to be seasoned. We added 3tbsp of flour, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
Here is the recipe I used as a guide.
I used my thawed no fail pastry that I had already in the fridge.
Now for the top of the pie; I thought we'd try something a little fancier.
I made strips and weaved them to make the top crust. I had never done this before but it was reminiscent of grade 3 art class.  Using the leftover dough Aubrey made leaves for decoration as well.
We mixed an egg yolk with a drizzle of water and used that mixture as an eggwash on top to give it a golden sheen once it's cooked.
We sprinkled the eggwash with a little white sugar.

We baked the pie according to the recipe above.
We impressed ourselves!!!
Now for the cleanup; it's helpful that my 3 year old loves to do the dishes!
Liam and I had a nice snuggle watching Aubrey clean.
Ta-da!!!!!
For something so delicious and comforting this was quite simple.

I highly reccommend having pastry made and in the freezer it makes that last minute dessert no problem and quiche is always a meal option!


No fail pastry recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment