Thursday 4 September 2014

Company is coming: Quiche

I don't know about you but I often wonder what to make when I'm having company over. Especially with two kids; you want to make something that is easy, can be done ahead, quick cleanup and tasty. My go to meal is the quiche. It is so versatile and can be made for any meal of the day. If you change the filling
Or even the type of cheese you get a different flavour profile everytime.  I decided to do a sausage, mushroom, cheddar and brocolli quiche.
I pulled my dough out of the freezer earlier this morning and let it thaw on the counter. 

Meanwhile, during Liam's nap time I sautéed the filling for the quiche.  I used sausage which I removed from the casings, chopped mushrooms, broccoli florets, chopped green onion and cilantro. 

I seasoned this with salt and pepper and once most of the liquid had sautéed off I removed it from the heat and let it cool.

The egg mix is very simple; 8 whole eggs to 1 cup of sour cream or yogurt and season with salt and pepper.  I used sourcream this time and did a double batch since I was making two quiche.

I rolled out my pie dough and lined two pie plates.
You could always use pre-made shells.
I divided the filling evenly between the two quiche.
Topped the filling with cheese and then poured the egg mixture over that.
I put these in a 350F oven on convection for 30 minutes and then turned the convection off for the last 10-15 minutes. I didn't want the crust to over brown.
Once the metal skewer came out clean they were done.
Our dinner guest wasn't arriving for a couple of hours so I just cooled them and put the quiche in the fridge until needed. I reheated them on  300F in the oven.

The funny thing about having a blog is that people read it! Pauline arrived with a "pretend" birthday gift for Aubrey. She was thrilled!
How appropriate; the apron set even came with a wooden spoon, chefs hat and an oven mitt!
I served the quiche with a cucumber salad, potato wedges and chocolate chip cookies. Everything was done ahead of time and the clean up was very quick. This is so great for having company over; more time to visit!
What a great time! Thanks for coming Pauline or Claudine as Aubrey kept calling you!


No comments:

Post a Comment