Tuesday 3 December 2013

The perfect pastry

I used to be deathly afraid of pastry!!!!! It seemed so complicated and delicate.  My mom showed me it is neither; especially when you have a great recipe; no fail!
My friend Bonnie gave me her go-to recipe.
5 cups flour
1lbs tender flake
1tsp salt
1egg beaten
1tbsp vinegar
Milk

First you cut the lard into the flour with the salt.  I really need to get a pastry cutter but two knives and your hands will work fine too.

Once you're at this stage you mix your wet ingredients together.
Put your egg in a 1 cup measuring cup.
Whisk.
Add a tablespoon of vinegar.
Now fill the measuring cup up with milk.
Pour in the well.

Mix until incorporated pretty well.
Dump out on your clean countertop and knead together.
This recipe makes the following:
I divide mine into 6 dough balls.  I wrap them in plastic wrap and flatten them and then put them in freezer bags for extra freshness!  Flattening them make it so easy to thaw and roll out.
Now stay tuned for what I will make with these! Pot pie and quiche are in my near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment