Wednesday 4 December 2013

Chicken pot pie

Homemade chicken pot pie is also one of those recipe that may seem intimidating but it is a great way to use up leftover chicken.  In this case we had drumsticks to use so we boiled these in water.  We wanted to use the stock we made to flavour the sauce.  Once the chicken was cooked we set it aside to cool before being pulled.

We strained this liquid and set it aside.
I prepped about nine cups of vegetables. This included onions, carrots, celery, peppers and mushrooms. I chopped up fresh herbs and garlic as well.
I sautéed this in the same pot; didn't need to dirty another one!!!
Once this was sautéing we added a couple of tablespoons of flour. 
Coated the vegetables well and incorporating it in to avoid chunks of flour.
Add the strained stock or you could use a box of stock.
Seasoned with salt and pepper.  
At this point you could add heavy cream to be very decedent but we opted for milk.
We let this cook out. Taste and season! Jeff added worcheshire sauce and a touch of Dijon to round out the flavours.
At this point the sauce was done so we wanted to incorporate the cooked chicken and raw sweet potato; you could use white potato or omit it all together.  We just didn't want the potato to be mush and the cooking time in the oven will be enough for the potato to cook.
To save time and energy you could buy a roasted chicken from the store and use a box of stock.  (I may do this next time!!!)
We added in frozen peas for colour and for taste!
We put these in two baking dishes.  One for dinner and the small to freeze for a later date!

Now for the dough; I thawed two balls of my no-fail pastry from the freezer.  I lightly floured my clean work surface and rolled it in as much of a rectangle as I could!
With the help of Aubrey of course!!!!
We made some slits in the dough to allow steam to escape.

For the pot pie we were baking right away we did a light eggwash(egg beaten with a touch of milk) and a sprinkle of sea salt.
For the pot pie I froze I just wrapped it really well.  I will probably try baking that from frozen.

We baked this on 375 convection for 30-45 minutes.  Until the pastry is golden brown!

I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture! This is what was leftover! 
After the fact I would of cut my potato smaller since I didn't precook it.

It was thoroughly enjoyed!  I can't wait to bake and eat the one from the freezer...A cold blustery day like today may be the perfect day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment